The Lace Museum
The Lace Museum was opened in 1981 and celebrates one of the best art productions of traditional lace-making, on the Venetian island of Burano, that was it’s home for centuries.
More than 200 examples (XVI-XX century) are kept in the historical Lace School of Burano, founded in 1872 by countess Andriana Marcello so as to promote this secular tradition.
Following the closing down of the school, a re-discovery and re-evaluation of this art, an expression of feminine creativity, began: the ancient school’s archive, rich in important documents and drawings, was reorganized and catalogued; the spaces restored and transformed into exhibition areas.
From 1995 the museum also offers the possibility to observe lace-trimmers at work. In the mornings they display their techniques in creating remarkably valuable works.
This art was born in Venice during Renaissance.
Originally it was developed by noble women, successively it was extended to all social classes: monasteries, school, hospices. In Burano, differently from Venice where lace was manufactured with bobbins, the process was made with no needle or textile support.
This technique was able to achieve fashionable stylistic effects, and found to be more efficient.
Notice to the Public
The lace museum will be closed up until spring 2010 for restoration and upgrading works.
Times: (from 1/11 to 31/3) time 10 a.m.-4p.m., (from 1/4 to 31/10) time 10 a.m.-5p.m. Closed on Tuesdays.
Entrance: full price € 4, reduced € 2,50.
Address: Piazza Galuppi 187, 30012 Burano
Telephone: +39041 730034
Fax: +39041 735471