Church of St Stefano

Santo StefanoThis church was founded by the Desert Fathers in the 1200s.  It can be found at the end of the square after which it is named. 
It was completely rebuilt in the 14 century and decorated in the Gothic Venetian style.  The splendid marble decorated door is by Bartolomeo Bon (1442).

The large interior is decorated by tombs, designed along three naves, supported by columns and possesses a ceiling described as the keel of a boat.

The sacristy is the home of important Renaissance art works; three large paintings by Tintoretto, The Last Supper, the Washing of the Feet and the Sermon in the Garden. 
There is a Crucifixion by Paolo Veneziano, a polyptych by Bartolomeo Vivarini and Palma il Vecchio’s Holy Family.
The funeral stone of Senator Giovanni Falier (1808) by Antonio Canova can be found in a side chapel.
 
Useful information:

Visiting times: Monday-Saturday 10.00-5.00, closed Sunday
24th December dicembre 10.00-1.30, 31st December 10.00-1.30
6th January open from 1.00 to 5.00
Closed 25th December, 1st January, Easter and 15th August.
Entrance:  € 2.50
Address: San Marco 2774 Campo Santo Stefano, cap 30124 - Venezia
Telephone: (+39)0412750462 (+39)0412750494
E-Mail: info@chorusvenezia.org  
Web: www.chorusvenezia.org  
Boat line Actv:  boat stop Accademia, Sant'Angelo or San Samuele 
 
Back
Share/Save/Bookmark

Your vacation starts here

Call Center

+39 041 5222264
Everyday from 8. a.m. to 11 p.m.
 
Call now!

Welcome Desk

5 Welcome Desks in the strategic points of arrival in Venice!
 

Where we are