Church of St Giacomo dell'Orio
The church dates from the 9th century and is situated in one of the few tree lined squares in the heart of the city. It shows several architectural elements but its basic Latin cross design with three naves and transept was begun in the 13th century and finished in the 15th and 16th centuries.Byzantine elements were introduced in the reconstruction of 1225 such as the famous green marble column with ionic capital praised by John Ruskin and Gabriele d’Annunzio.
The beautiful, Gothic vaulted, ceiling with the ‘boat keel’ design was built at the beginning of the 15th century. The wooden decorative elements along the central nave came later.
The church is home to some Venetian Renaissance works of art among which is the main altar piece by Lorenzo Lotto of the Child Jesus among the Apostles and Saints (1546). It is one of the rare examples of the artist’s work in Venice.
In the sacristy are some of the best works of Jacopo Palma il Giovane, for example ‘la Pala col Parroco da Ponte’ (1575-81) and the sectioned ceiling is by Paolo Veronese.
The bell tower is Venetian Byzantine in style and dates from the 12th to 13th century.
Visiting times: Monday to Saturday: 10.00-5.00, Sunday closed
24th December 10.00-1.30, 31st Decmeber 10.00-1.30
6th January open 1.00 to 5.00pm
Closed 25th December, 1st January, Easter and 15th August
Entrance: € 2.50
Address: Campo San Giacomo dall'Orio, 1456 Santa Croce cap 30135 - Venezia
Telephone: +39 041 2750462 +39 041 2750494
Boat line Actv: boat stop S. Stae