Church of St Michele
Is found on the Island of St Michele where Venice city’s cemetery can be found. The island is situated between the waterfront called the Fondamenta Nove in Venice and Murano Island.
This beautiful, Renaissance Church is made from Istrian stone and is the work of Mauro Codussi.
Famous monks who stayed there are Brother Mauro, author of the world map now housed in the historical library, the Biblioteca Marciana in Venice, and Brother Cappellari who became Pope Gregory XVI.
In 1829 the monastery came into the hands of the Riformati Brothers who still own the church today.
Beside the church is the Emiliani chapel, constructed in 1530. On the other side is the 14th century cloister from which one can enter the cemetery.
Inside, the church has three naves. It is particular for its harmonious grouping of monuments and sculptures and the rich decoration inserted into an elegant architectural structure.
Visiting times: The cemetery is open from April to September from 7.30 to 6pm. From October to March from 7.30 to 4pm. On the 25th December and 1st January from 7.30 to 12.00
Address: Isola di San Michele, Cannareggio cap 30121 - Venezia
Boat line Actv: boat stop San Michele