Church of St Polo

San PoloThe church was originally founded in the 9th century along Byzantine lines but underwent two radical interventions. One in late Gothic style of the 1400s of which remains the large rose window in the façade and the sharply arched side entrance door attributed to Bartolomeo Bon. The second intervention occurred at the beginning of the 1800s in neo classical style and is the work of Davide Rossi.


Painstaking restoration work has uncovered a part of the old construction from the1400s.
Inside paintings by Jacopo Palma il Giovane and Salviati can be found. On the altar is Paolo Veronese’s Wedding of the Virgin, Jacopo Tintoretto’s, Last Supper and the Assumption of Our Lady and Saints and a famous, Appearance of the Virgin to St Giovanni Nepomuceno by Giambattista Tiepolo (1754).
In the small Oratory of the Cross is the dramatic and moving Via Crucis (1749-1750) by Giambattista Tiepolo’s son, Giandomenico Tiepolo.

The bell tower is a typical example from the 1300s in Venice..


Useful information:

Visiting times:
Monday to Saturday: 10.00-5.00, Sunday closed
24th December 10.00-1.30, 31st Decmeber  10.00-1.30
6th January open 1.00 to 5.00pm
Closed 25th December, 1st January, Easter and 15th August
Entrance:  € 2.50
Address: Campo S. Polo, 2102 San Polo cap 30125 - Venezia
Telephone: +39 041 2750462 +39 041 2750494
E-Mail:  info@chorusvenezia.org  
Web: www.chorusvenezia.org    
Boat line Actv: boat stop S. Tomà 
 

Back
Share/Save/Bookmark

Your vacation starts here

Call Center

+39 041 5222264
Everyday from 8. a.m. to 11 p.m.
 
Call now!

Welcome Desk

5 Welcome Desks in the strategic points of arrival in Venice!
 

Where we are