Church of St Stae

San StaeSt Stae, with its sumptuous rococo style facade looks out on the Grand Canal and is the work of Domenico Rossi (1709). The church, dedicated to St Eustace, was built in the 1600s.

The interior, dating from the late 1600s, is the work of architect Giovanni Grassi and is home to paintings by Piazzetta and Tiepolo, excellent examples of the Venetian school of the first half of the  1700s.
The church has one nave and three open chapels on each side.  In the centre of the church is a large tomb for the noble Mocenigo family.  Beside the church is the  confraternita dei "tiraoro e battioro" school, whose chapel is decorated by Antonio Balestra.

Among twelve small paintings on the altar depicting the saints are works of art by the young Giambattista Tiepolo, the Martyrdom of St Bartolomeo (1721), the Martyrdom of St Giacomo the Elder by Giambattista Piazzetta and the Liberation of St Peter by Sebastiano Ricci.

Useful information:

Visiting times:
Monday to Saturday: 10.00-5.00, Sunday closed
24th December 10.00-1.30, 31st December 10.00-1.30
6th January open from 1.00 to 5.00pm
Closed 25th December, 1st January, Easter and 15th August.
Entrance:  € 2.50
Address: Campo di San Stae, 1981 S. Croce cap 30135 - Venezia
Telephone: (+39)0412750462 (+39)0412750494
E-Mail: info@chorusvenezia.org  
Web: www.chorusvenezia.org    
Boat line Actv: boat stop S. Stae

Back
Share/Save/Bookmark

Your vacation starts here

Call Center

+39 041 5222264
Everyday from 8. a.m. to 11 p.m.
 
Call now!

Welcome Desk

5 Welcome Desks in the strategic points of arrival in Venice!
 

Where we are