Venezia, la città con oltre 100 chiese
The church was built according to tradition in 639 after an apparition of Our Lady in rounded maternal form, hence the name Santa Maria Formosa, formosa meaning ‘buxom’ or ‘well rounded’ .
It was rebuilt in 1492 by Mauro Codussi and retains to this day its early Tuscan Renaissance structure.
This is a large Franciscan convent church dating from the 1500s. It was built following the designs of Jacopo Sansovino. It reflects the harmonious proportions of the late Renaissance style.
This church was designed in 1575 by Andrea Palladio and occupies space where a hospital once welcomed the poor and infirm. It can be found between the churches of SS. Giovanni e Paolo e S. Francesco della Vigna. The hospital church, thanks to generous donations from benefactors, has an opulent facade and collection of works of art from the 1600s and 1700s.
The Basilica is a wonderful example of Gothic-Venetian style. It was built by the Dominican order between 1246 and 1430.
The church held an important position in the Serenissima’s (Venetian Republic’s) history being a burial place for Doges since the 1400s making it Venice’s own Pantheon.
The church can be found in a tiny square called the Miracoli. Its exterior and interior is decorated with many coloured marble.
Its ‘bijoux’ like size and the preciousness of its decoration make it a wonderful example of Venetian Renaissance architecture.
It is the work of Pietro Lombardo and his workshop between 1481 and 1489.
In the northern part of the lagoon is the silent and solitary Island of Torcello.
It is the home of the largest and oldest set of religious buildings to be found on any island in the lagoon. It is made up of three buildings linked by a portico: the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta (St Mary Assumed), the Baptistery and the still unfinished Church of St Fosca behind the cathedral.
The church takes its name from the family Jubanico who commissioned its building in the 9th century and who then gave it the name of Saint Mary of the Lily (Santa Maria del Giglio).
It possesses an extraordinary Baroque, double faced facade by Sardi and works of art by Tintoretto and a Holy Family by Rubens which is the only example of Flemish art in Venice.
This church was founded by the Desert Fathers in the 1200s. It can be found at the end of the square after which it is named.
It was completely rebuilt in the 14 century and decorated in the Gothic Venetian style. The splendid marble decorated door is by Bartolomeo Bon (1442).
In the centre of the city, at the end of the main shopping artery called the Merceria, stands the Church of St Salvador. According to tradition it is one of the oldest in Venice.
It was rebuilt in the 1500s and faces onto the campo from which it takes its name.
Its white, baroque façade, modified by Giuseppe Sardi in 1663 is decorated with sculptures.
South of the Island of Burano, on one of the most beautful islands in the lagoon, lies the convent of San Francesco (St Francis) del Deserto. It was founded by the Desert Fathers on the date in 1220 when it is traditionally accepted that San Francis of Assisi, on his return from Egypt, stayed in the convent.