Venezia, la città con oltre 100 chiese
This is church is known locally with the name of ‘Fava’, probably taken from a business shop in the area or the name of a local family. Dating from the 1700s, the elegant and unusual church follows an oval design. Moreover it hosts many Rococo artistic works, such as Tiepolo’s Education of the Virgin.
Because of its small dimensions this church is called St Giacometto, a diminutive form of St Giacomo. It stands in the Rialto market with its sundial clock face on the main facade, the bell tower in a flaring sail shape and the only remaining Gothic portico in the city, supported by beautiful columns.
St Stae, with its sumptuous rococo style facade looks out on the Grand Canal and is the work of Domenico Rossi (1709). The church, dedicated to St Eustace, was built in the 1600s.
The church dates from the 9th century and is situated in one of the few tree lined squares in the heart of the city. It shows several architectural elements but its basic Latin cross design with three naves and transept was begun in the 13th century and finished in the 15th and 16th centuries.
The church was originally founded in the 9th century along Byzantine lines but underwent two radical interventions. One in late Gothic style of the 1400s of which remains the large rose window in the façade and the sharply arched side entrance door attributed to Bartolomeo Bon. The second intervention occurred at the beginning of the 1800s in neo classical style and is the work of Davide Rossi.
This church, one of the lesser known in Venice, was closed for restoration work for 20 years and opened in 2002. It can be found in the Rialto market area and is a beautiful example of Renaissance architecture. It was rebuilt in 1538 and has a bell tower dating from the end of the 1300s.
The church was rebuilt in 1584 from its original foundations. It has two Palladian facades, almost identical, one facing the square and the other facing the canal and is characterised by large windows.
This church was restored around the middle of the 1700s. It has a façade in Istrian stone and looks out over the square of the same name. On the left of the church is the portico that leads to the Casin dei Nobili, a ‘casino for nobles’ or games and entertainment house that has its origins in the 18th century.
The church can be found in a quiet corner of Venice with its bell tower dating from 1200s and all its original features still intact.
It was rebuilt between the 12th and 16th centuries and is, according to popular tradition, one of the oldest churches in Venice.
The church was built between 1581 and 1588. Andrea Palladio is the supposed architect, because of style and typical features present in the church’s structure, but there is no documentation attesting to it.