Antica meta della nobiltà europea, il Lido di Venezia preserva tutt'oggi il suo grande fascino ed eleganza.
"Four furlongs of ground, within this wall, licence to eternity,” so reads the epigraph of the Rabbi Leone da Modena (1571-1648). It can be seen at the entrance to the old Jewish Cemetery, located in a tree lined road looking out over the lagoon and near the church of San Nicolò.
The fort is also known as Castelnuovo. It is built on the island of the same name, a small strip of land that looks across the canal to San Nicolò, Lido. It is near the island called the Vignole. It was built in 1543 and is a work of art both artistically and in military terms. It was built on what remained of previous defense systems.
The San Nicolò Fort is also called Castelvecchio. It was built towards the middle of the 1400s and was put to use especially in 1569 when the Turks led by the Sultan Selim II were conquering much of Albania and threatening Venice.
Venice’s Lido is a long strip of land, an Island, that separates the Adriatic sea from the lagoon. The part of the island that overlooks the sea is accompanied by a long road, the Lungomare, with panoramic views and access to the many beaches.
The Murazzi are made of Istrian stone and were built to defend the lagoon from erosion coming from the sea. The Murazzi substituted the original dykes. The originators behind this idea were the Franciscan Brother and astronomer Vincenzo Maria Coronelli who 1716 proposed the idea of a large dyke. The building was planned and overlooked by Bernardino Zendrini. It began in 1744 and finished in 1782.
The island of Pellestrina is a long thin, 11km strip of land in the southern part of Venice’s lagoon. It stretches from the port of Malamocco to that of Chioggia. It is made up of three small ‘suburbs’, the two smaller are San Pietro in Volta and Portosecco, and the larger, Pellestrina. In a census from 2008, the island had 4,208 inhabitants, 2,898 in Pellestrina, 1,188 in San Pietro in Volta and 122 in Portosecco.
San Pietro in Volta is a small Venetian community è situated on the Island of Pellestrina, in the northern part. It was the ancient port of Albiola, an important centre that underwent a period of abandonment during the medieval period because of the silting up of the port.
It received its actual name when in 900, on the day of St Peter, the Venetian doge Pietro Tribuno succeeded in sending away the Hungarians. Sending away or chasing away means ‘in volta’ in Italian, hence district’s name.